Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7081 - 19/04/2000 16:47 "Force Check"
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I can't count the number of times I've told myself, "ok, just one more sync" right before running out the door, just to get the disk checking to slow me down...

So here's my addition to the wish list pile: a "force check" checkbox in the emplode sync dialog box which would force a disk check when you have spare time... that way, if I know I have time to spare, I can go ahead and check the disks, so that when I don't have time it doesn't sneak up on me..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#7082 - 20/04/2000 03:01 Re: "Force Check" [Re: dionysus]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
go ahead and check the disks, so that when I don't have time it doesn't sneak up on me..

Yes, this would be very welcome
May be emplode can also report its count when it's going to do the next check; e.g. a decreasing count of whatever triggers the check.

Henno
# 00120

#7083 - 20/04/2000 04:05 Re: "Force Check" [Re: Henno]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
go ahead and check the disks, so that when I don't have time it doesn't sneak up on me..

Yes, this would be very welcome
May be emplode can also report its count when it's going to do the next check; e.g. a decreasing count of whatever triggers the check.

Meanwhile, if you use developer image, just drop into shell and write e2fsck /dev/hda4.

- Kim

#7084 - 20/04/2000 08:46 Re: "Force Check" [Re: kim]
dionysus
veteran

Meanwhile, if you use developer image, just drop into shell and write e2fsck /dev/hda4.

sure; but then you have people like me that dont' have spare serial ports on the computers they use:)
-mark

#7085 - 20/04/2000 09:15 Re: "Force Check" [Re: dionysus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you don't have a spare serial port, then how do you upgrade the software on your Empeg? (Although I agree that a "force check" option would be good for many reasons.)

And in a related question: Hugo, will we ever see a version of EmpegUpgrade that uses the USB port?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7086 - 20/04/2000 10:38 Re: "Force Check" [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

If you don't have a spare serial port, then how do you upgrade the software on your Empeg? (Although I agree that a "force check" option would be good for many reasons.)

I usually unplug one device to upgrade it; but that's an inconvenience to do just to run chkdsk:)
-mark

#7087 - 20/04/2000 10:40 Re: "Force Check" [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Possibly in the future, yes, though there will still be no way to recover from a totally toasted kernel except by using serial.

(translation: I'm not writing a USB driver in assembler which fits in the boot block ;) )

Hugo